Friday, July 29, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge -- Day 10



Day 10 - A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving.

One of the things I hate about the entertainment industry is the constant over hype. From Titanic to The Matrix Trilogy to Cowboys and Aliens, I constantly ask myself "why is that being hyped?" only to realize that it truly does suck. I have never seen what I said above and do not plan to. But then people start quoting this line over and over again which made me mad, as well as intriqued.

"Welcome to Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club."

Fight Club
by Chuck Palahniuk. That is the book that was over hyped in my eyes. I did not get it -- a bunch of men fighting. Big whoop. But then...I picked up the book and entered a world of darkness and despair in a modern world. This book would soon start my love affair of Chuck Palahniuk; even to the point of getting his non fiction books. Fight Club is one of the greatest, provocative, and enlightening books that I have read. It's a must-read, with a brilliant story, a writing style wonderfully crafted to depict the real world for as disgusting as it is, and a mischievous character who goes by the name of Tyler Durden, who's out to change the problems of modern-day society. There is a twist at the end of the book which made me throw the book half way across the room to only pick it up and scream out "WOW".

1 comment:

  1. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara . Andrew insisted that I had to read this historical novel about the battle of Gettysburg. I thought it would be some dry recitation of facts, but it was excellently written. It focused on the main figures involved with the battle and how they were affected. This human touch made me feel connected with these real life people the same way I would in a really well written fictional novel.

    ReplyDelete

I love all kinds of feedback so THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the comment love! I truly adore everything and anything you have to say!