Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Return to the ATL

First of all, let me apologize for not being around. On Saturday April 2nd, I boarded a plane at 520am to travel down to one of the greatest cities in the United States -- ATLANTA, GEORGIA! Why was I there? To be part of the grand daddy of them all events WWE WRESTLEMANIA 27! I missed it last year due to my broken foot so this trip was to make up for it. So here it goes...a travel blog!

Day 1 (Saturday 4/2/11): Ahh Atlanta...I do not know what is about this city but it always brings a smile to my face. The weather today is GORGEOUS! Beautiful blue sky, lots of sunshine, and 70 degrees. Definite change from NYC weather. This is what I call Spring! By the way, what is up with the fried chicken smell in the airport? Granted it was a delectable aroma but not at 9am trying to get to baggage claim. After checking into our hotel which had a kitchen as well as jacuzzi tub, we got ready and made our way to Ring of Honor wrestling. Unfornuately, due to their stupid no digital camera rule I have no pictures to show you BUT I urge you to get the DVD when it is released. Wrestling throughout the whole show; not an ounce of bullshit. Had a great time and am looking forward to the June 19th show in New York City! Afterward we were off to Abdullah the Butchers restaurant (pictured below). Now Abby was not there but we both got the rib tip dinner with macaroni and cheese and baked beans. OH MY GOODNESS. So good. The rib had a vinegar based barbeque sauce which is standard in the South. The funny thing was seeing Davey Richards there after the show! After we finished eating and relaxed, we were off to the WWE Hall of Fame! I was looking forward to the induction of the Road Warriors/Sunny and of course SHAWN MICHAELS. Getting into the place...well that was an adventure. The line wrapped all the way around the building! As soon as we got in, we both found out that our seats were in a club area. SCORE! Thats if I wanted to get an alcoholic drink but alas I did not as I am trying to stay to my straight edge ways. The Hall of Fame was well done as always. I took part in the booing of Drew Carey and cried during Sunny's and Shawn Michaels speeches. Triple H made it the Roast of Shawn Michaels. Afterward we headed to the hotel where the WWE wrestlers were staying. Now usually I am not the celeb stalking type but since the hotel was basically free reign, I tried it. I did meet some wrestlers but most of them who do not deserve to be were jerks to their fans, including children which I do not agree with. Since at this point I was pratically passing out, we made our way back to the hotel where I fell face first into the bed. Here are some pictures from both Abby's restaurant and Hall of Fame.



Day 2 (Sunday 4/3/11): WRESTLEMANIA 27 DAY! Well before we get to that...must talk about what happened before that. We were off to Wrestlemania Axxess on 4 hours of sleep. I must thank David's friend Mike for giving us a ride to ROH and Abby's and HOF and now Axxess. It was very nice of him. Anyway we were off to Axxess and the first person I see is WILLIAM REGAL! I get onto his line and waited for close to an hour to meet him. As soon as I get up to him we had a pretty decent conversation about wrestling until the stupid security card comes over to tell me to look behind me but this takes the cake...William steps in and says "Don't you see we are talking about wrestling?" That sent my heart a flutter. After saying my goodbyes, we walked down Axxess a little and got on line for Sin Cara...but then right as soon as we were in the front of the line there was a talent change and out comes...WADE BARRETT! We both screamed in excitement! That was a nice and welcome surprise. Wade even stood up in his picture with David which is not common. We walked around some more and found the line for Drew McIntyre. One of the nicest guys we have both met. Unfornuately I had to cause a scene as one of the managers mentioned that no more pictures with Drew would be happening. I said that was not fair and if that was the case they should have said that from the beginning. Because of my ruckus, that was changed back to the original way. That is what you get from messing with a girl from Jersey! Afterward we met Mae Young and Wendi Richter who both looked phenomenal. We bought tickets for the 12:30 session of Axxess as we did not get to see the different attractions due to waiting for wrestlers. We went through Undertakers Graveyard which hurt my eyes after a while due to the strobe lights and smoke and then the WWE memorabilia. We hung out in the convention center for a little while and then made our way to the Georgia Dome which was RIGHT NEXT DOOR! I could not believe it. Walked outside...BAMM! Right there. Also getting into the Georgia Dome was a breeze compared to the Philips Arena. Found our seats and got excited for Wrestlemania 27! Now I know a lot of reports are focusing on the negative but in all honesty I enjoyed show. Yes I was annoyed that Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus was moved to the pre-show and then changed into a battle royal for no reason but you know what? IT IS WHAT IT IS. Also, Edge's match being the curtain jerker made no sense but in the grand scheme of things with the timing it was perfect. I wanted Christian to turn on Edge but so did a lot of other people so that was not happening. The breakout star of the night -- CODY RHODES. I seriously hope he gets a push now. I also see shades of Mankind in his latest gimmick so that will be fun to see. Of course I wanted Triple H to win but we all know that Undertaker will retire with his streak in tact. All in all the show was well done so I honestly do not know what people are talking about. After Wrestlemania 27 we thought about going back to the WWE hotel but then we found out that the lobby was closed off due to a private party so we went back to our hotel after hanging with Rich and Michelle for a little bit and went to sleep so I would be refreshed for my flight home. Pictures from Wrestlemania 27 can be found here: WWE Wrestlemania 27 pictures and Pictures from WWE Wrestlemania Axxess & Hotel pictures can be found here: WWE Wrestlemania Axxess & Hotel pictures

Other Things That Happened on Trip: Apparently when you are down in the South, everyone is mystified with the fact that I was from New York/New Jersey. That got me great directions to places, advice on where to eat, to get further in a line, and overall treated with the utmost respect. Maybe us Northerners should take a clue. Also to get the entire crowd of people to shout "REALLY?" at some protesters outside the Phillips Arena made me smile. The protesters eventually shut up. The only bad thing that happened on this entire trip was a homeless woman hitting me in the arm and telling me to give her 50 cents. I said to her to not touch me and that I only have enough to get home. It freaked me out but I did not let it get me down. The food...oh my goodness the food. We ate at Gladys Knights Chicken and Waffles and it was the best fried chicken ever followed by the most yummy peach cobbler. It is out of this world. Also the best food ever found at the Flying Biscuit Cafe. If you ever visit Atlanta, you NEED to go to those two places. Overall the trip was PERFECT and definitely made up for missing out on last year's Wrestlemania. Now I need to make the decision of going to Miami or not...but first next week I will be in CINCINNATI, OHIO! This living out of a suitcase thing...kind of exciting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all kinds of feedback so THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the comment love! I truly adore everything and anything you have to say!