Sunday, May 15, 2011

Healthy Dani is On Her Way!


A couple of weeks ago, Dani Hampton at Sometimes Sweet started this great feature called "8 Weeks To A Better Me" and this weeks feature could not have resonated higher to me than ever! This weeks feature is healthy eating and I need that so much right now. I did write about this on my Things I Love Thursday post but since Blogger was being funky it was deleted so here is the story...

Back in March, I had decided to switch doctors. My doctor, who is the daughter of my original doctor, was constantly wanting to switch me off of my birth control to either an insert or Seasonique. Now the reason why I am on birth control is because my periods are irregular due to poly cystic ovarian syndrome which I did not know I had until I was 23 years old and my periods just stopped. I also ballooned up in weight while I was in college due to a very bad break up (yes I ate my emotions and then did more eating) but that is another story for another day. So for the past 10 years I have been on the pill because of my period. Granted the extra protection for pregnancy is added bonus, but that is the true reason.

In any event, I just did not feel comfortable going to my doctor as she did not have the greatest bed side manner and as well constantly wanting me to try different medication/birth control. If it is not broke, do not fix it in my eyes. So I scheduled an appointment with an gynecologist which is right up the block from me. It was a pretty standard check up and then he mentioned my weight. Now I have had constant issues with my weight as well as my thinning hair and severe dry skin. My family also has a history of thyroid cancer so it was best for me to go get some blood work done. So I did. The results came back and while my thyroid levels were okay/normal, my insulin was kind of on the high side meaning I was becoming diabetic or at a risk of becoming diabetic. That will simply not do!

I quickly made an appointment with an endocrinologist which my gyno recommended/referred me to and more blood work was done. Well, the good news is I am not diabetic! My thyroid levels are normal but I do have a deficiency in Vitamin D and have Mediterranean Anemia which means my iron might be low at times. Luckily enough, I do not have to see the endocrinologist ever again but he did suggest these things:

1) NO MORE FOOD WITH SUGAR IN IT. I am talking cakes, pies, scones, cookies, pudding, ice cream...BAD BAD BAD. This will be the hardest things as I have a major sweet tooth. He did say that I can have a cup of tea with ONE packet of Sweet N Low or Truvia a day BUT THAT IS IT. If I decide to go for a second cup of tea, NO SUGAR OR SUGAR SUBSTITUTE.

2) EAT THE FRUIT, DON'T DRINK THE FRUIT. Apparently fruit juice is worse than actually eating the fruit. It does not contain all of the fibrous membranes like the actual fruit does. So if I want to drink orange juice, get an orange and peel it and eat it instead. Same goes with grapefruit, apple, and so on.

3) HAVE A HANDFUL OF NUTS BEFORE A MEAL.
Nuts are a good source of protein plus it fills you up so I am not at risk of overeating.

The first week I will admit was hard as I was craving sugar like a beast but I am dealing with it. I have also added swimming three times a week to my exercise regimen as well as Zumba once a week and walking my dogs every day. I am well on my way to becoming a healthier me and appreciate all of the support I can get! So with that...here are three things/goals I am adding to my healthy eating routine to a better me this week:

1) Only have ONE snack after lunch and dinner. I tend to graze...a lot. So I will make it a constant effort to only have one apple or one clementine or one cup of popcorn.

2)To make sure I eat one salad a day.
Love this idea! Also love the idea of feeling light and fresh in the morning. Thanks for the tip Tracy from Shutterbean!

3)Try and drink two 32oz bottles of water a day. Is this too much? Let me know.

Do you have any goals this week to a better you? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. After seeing yours and Sometimes Sweet's post on this, I am totally going to try incorporating a salad a day! :D Such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did 8 weeks of revamped eating last year. Worked wonders and I've kept a lot of the good habits I learned during that time (such as snacking on pineapple, not soaked in syrup, and almonds, 10 at a time). I'm not quite so strict these days (I've been having complex carbs for dinner again) as I have been happy to maintain my weight rather than keep losing more (although there's a little more to lose so I'm going to do another 8 weeks soon).
    Well, my point it that I was aiming to drink about 3 litres of water per day (about 100 oz.). Sounds huge but I did it many days (you just have to start early). But some days I simply didn't make it past 750mls (approx 25 oz.), and that was ok too because my body just didn't want it that day. So when it comes to water, listen to your body, so long as you have water on hand all the time you will consume as much as you need. Simply having it right next to you constantly will mean you'll naturally reach for it when you want it (a great measure of hydration, and sorry to be really graphic, is to have colourless urine).
    All the best with your new plan!!! Looking forward to updates.

    ReplyDelete

I love all kinds of feedback so THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the comment love! I truly adore everything and anything you have to say!