Saturday, November 24, 2018

Book Review: Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval

I am coming up on the end of the year and I will admit I have been in a reading slump. I have plenty to read on my To Be Read pile, do not get me wrong, but I have not felt the urge to read. With going back to work and getting things back in order in my life and navigating being single as well as taking care of my parents -- life has been one hectic chaotic ride. Then I check my email and as per usual -- Net Galley has a book that just jumps out to me and had to be read in one sitting. Say hello to Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval.

This book was released on November 20, 2018. Here is the book description: Mila is a solitary teenager ready to put another boring summer vacation behind her until she meets Agnes, an adventurous girl who turns out to be a ghost. And not just a regular ghost, but one carrying the essence of an ancient fallen king and a mouth full of teeth that used to be his guardian warriors. Three-time Eisner Award-nominated writer/artist Tony Sandoval presents a wondrous world of secret places and dreamlike magic hidden in the everyday corners of our sleeping imagination.

Now I will say this -- I have not read anything by Tony Sandoval so I was excited to learn about a new author. I am also kind of disappointed that this book did not come out during Halloween as it is a stunningly illustrated ,beautifully creepy story but I think creepiness and all things Halloween is a all year thing so for that, I will let it slide. The artwork is simply beautiful; definitely dark which is an aesthetic I do enjoy and speaks to my big gothic heart. The story can be confusing at times and you need to re-read some points but that is all the fun of this story. Super weird, super gorgeous. This book will become part of my bookshelf. If you are a fan of Coraline by Neil Gaiman, you will love this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all kinds of feedback so THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the comment love! I truly adore everything and anything you have to say!