Thursday, August 30, 2018

Book Review -- What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera

This book. Oh my goodness this book.

I have never read anything by either Becky Albertalli or Adam Silvera before. I have heard such great things about both authors and I am always down to experience new authors. I read mostly paranormal/fantasy/horror/thrillers as well as young adult and this book, which isn't due out until October 9, 2018, (thank you to Epic Reads at Harper Collins Publishers for the ARC) is such a page turner I could not put it down. I really loved this book! Filled with so many ups and downs and twists and turns -- I have never been so emotionally invested in a book before. It is heartwarming, humorous, awkward, and inspiring. I virtually had to force myself to put it down when necessary and could not wait to pick it up again. If you are a lover of Adam and/or Becky’s work, you won’t want to miss their debut project together.

Book description: ARTHUR is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it. BEN thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things. But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them . . . ?
Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated. Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited. But what if they can’t nail a first date even after three do-overs? What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work and Ben doesn’t try hard enough? What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play? But what if it is? What if it’s us?

I loved the set up of their story – not only the charm having a “missed connection” to find each other later, but also the hilarity of their terrible, terrible dates. We have all had those terrible dates before and it was so refreshing and relatable to see on the page. Ben and Arthur have a very unique love story that I feel is absolutely worth reading. I also loved the fact that I was able to get annoyed/angry with both main characters so frequently. I LOVE characters who’s reactions make me mad while also enabling me to see their viewpoint and fully understand their reactions. There were many times where I would throw the book in anger, let out an "awwww" at a cute moment, and just feel all of the emotions. Both characters are easy to love, yet remain flawed; and you are not rooting for one over the other. You want to see this relationship work somehow. The only critique/problem I have is with the ending. Granted, its reality but gosh darn it a girl loves some cheese!

To let you know -- there are the subjects of cheating, homophobia, racism, and panic attacks in this book. If any of this are triggers for you -- you have been warned. Overall, I really loved my time reading this as it was a step out of comfort zone of reading. If you are someone who is excited for this story, I don’t feel you will be disappointed. I would definitely recommend to everyone who loves a young adult diverse contemporary romance novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all kinds of feedback so THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the comment love! I truly adore everything and anything you have to say!